Friday, September 26, 2008

Kickin it old school


So VH1 just released there top 100 hip hop songs and Public Enemy's "Fight the Power" has topped the list. Now while it's a good track, I don't know if I would mark it as the best hip hop song.

First off, it really hasn't stood the test of time, rarely does it ever spin on the airwaves and ask the current generation of hip hop lovers if they've actually listened to fight the power and I think you'd be surprised at how many NO's you get.


Basically, it won for the political message that's attached to the song and I get that, good hip hop has always had a message. Whether that's to set the party off right or literally fight the power.


Rounding out the top three Sugar Hill Gang came in at 2 with "Rapper's Delight" and Dre's "Nothing but a G thang" was 3 on the list. Personally, I think Dre should have taken the top spot, but oh well.

No comments: