Sunday, October 12, 2008

Food for thought

I'm deathly allergic to peanuts, no exaggeration needed and I recently had a run in with some one eating them that touched my hand and made me break out in hives. Thanks.

This lead me down the path of a little research and I learned from the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology that over 50 million Americans suffer from allergies, food and environmental.

The highest number of food allergies goes to seafood with 6.9 million people allergic, with nut allergies coming in a close second at 3.3 million. And at least 40 deaths occur annually from people that suffer insect bites and are allergic to them. And the AAAAI, as they like to be called, claims that, eight foods account for 90% of all reactions in the U.S.: milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, soy, fish, and shellfish

Interesting stuff huh? Take this information to your next cocktail party and see where it gets you.

No comments: