Sunday, October 19, 2008

Adapting Twilight

More on AFF that doesn't include my new favorite movie How to be, so let's start with the fact that there has been a little Twilight invasion taking over the world and I'm 100% ok with that.
Melissa Rosenberg took part in a panel discussion about what it was like to adapt the teen girls most holy work of Twilight onto the big screen.

What was most surprising is that for one Rosenberg looks more like a WNBA superstar than what I envisioned as a screen writer. Completely approachable and confident in her abilities it was refreshing to see a woman at the helm of one of the years most anticipated films. But the women is accomplished to say the least. Sighting one of her major problems in life as being "over employed" as if there were such a thing in Hollywood. Anyway, she's currently the executive producer and writer of the series Dexter, wrote the screen play for Step Up, written for the OC and other projects. So basically we loved her from the get go.
No question for Rosenberg was off limits including why she added in scenes to the movie that were not in the book and how she felt about a Twilight sequel.

As the girls in the roomed shrieked and squealed at the thought of more Edward Cullen, Rosenberg never ruled anything out and gave us a slight idea as to what she might do with character development into the second film.

Thanks to Melissa I know what I want to be when I grow up, her! Great, I'm glad that only took me 21 years to figure out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it ok to ask what subtle hints Melissa gave re character development in New Moon.

Christian said...

Of course it’s ok to ask, I just didn’t include it in the blog in case other readers really didn’t want to have their future fun spoiled. Basically, Melissa said that she wouldn’t shock the audience by taking Edward out completely for most of the film, the way that the book does. We would get to see subtle nuances of Edward through out the film but in a way that enriched the plot line while staying as true as she could to Meyer’s original work.

Now whether that means we get to see a little bit of what Edward is doing while he’s away from Bella or if Bella has full on hallucinations that Edward is still around, Melissa wouldn’t say. All I know is that whatever she does I hope it works, but I’m sure it will.